Issues concerned with the MoU between India and US
Environment and Ecology
India and the United States (US) on 2 June 2016 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to enhance cooperation on energy security, clean energy and climate change.
The MoU will provide framework to work more closely not only for betterment of people but also for creating a positive environment for US companies working in India.
It will also provide momentum for cooperative work which needs to be done in fields of energy security, clean energy and climate change.
Objective of the MoU
• To enhance cooperation on energy security, clean energy and climate change through increased bilateral engagement and further joint initiatives for promoting sustainable growth.
• These activities are intended to increase incentives for innovation including research and development, and voluntary and mutually-agreed technology transfer, as well as the deployment of clean energy technologies.
• Contribute to a global effort to curb the rise in greenhouse gas emissions
• To enhance resilience to the impacts of climate change
The Priority initiatives under the MoU would be:
• US-India Energy smart Cities Partnership
• Greening the Grid
• Promoting Energy Access through Clean Energy (PEACE) expansion
• Energy Efficiency including space cooling
• Renewable energy
• Energy security
• Clean energy finance
• US-India partnership for Climate Resilience
• Air quality
• Forestry, Landscapes and REDD+
• Accelerating innovation on clean energy and climate change
Apart from this, the two nations also inked a pact or exchange of terrorist screening information.
As per this Arrangement
• Both sides shall provide each other access to terrorism screening information through the designated contact points, subject to domestic laws and regulations.
• It would also enhance the counter terrorism cooperation between India and USA.