Sulabha Deshpande left for her heavenly abode
Eminent actor and theatre personality Sulabha Deshpande passed away 4 June 2016 in Mumbai. She was 79.
Deshpande was considered to be one of the pioneers of the experimental theatre movement that swept Mumbai in the 1970s.
Who was Sulabha Deshpande?
• Sulabha Deshpande was an acclaimed Indian film, theatre and television actress and theatre director.
• She started her career as a teacher at Chhabildas Boy's High School in Dadar, Mumbai.
• Apart from Marathi theatre as well as Hindi theatre in Mumbai, she acted in over 73 movies mainstream Bollywood.
• She also acted in art house cinema, like Bhumika, Arvind Desai Ki Ajeeb Dastaan and Gaman as a character actor.
• In 1971 she co-founded, theatre group, Awishkar with her husband Arvind Deshpande.
• Soon, she established the Chandrashala, the children's theatre wing of Awishkar. Notable Bollywood actors Nana Patekar and Urmila Matondkar have been students of Chandrashala.
• In recent years, she acted in serials like Jee Ley Zara, Ek Packet Umeed, Asmita and films like English Vinglish.