India and US agreed upon a MoU for Global Entry Programme
India on 4 June 2016 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the United States of America (USA) to facilitate hassle-free entry of Indians into America at selected airports. It will provide quick security clearances for pre-approved, low-risk travellers from India.
Features of the Agreement
• The Agreement was signed as a part of America’s International Expedited Traveller Initiative which is also known as the Global Entry Programme. India became the ninth country to sign the agreement with US.
• It was signed between India’s US Ambassador Arun K Singh and Kevin K McAleenan, deputy commissioner of US Customs and Border Protection..
• The agreement will have positive impact on all kinds of people-to-people exchange between the two countries as the programme at the US airports will enable further easing of travel environment for the approved travellers.
Global Entry Programme (GEP)
• As on 4 June 2016, GEP is available at more than 40 US airports and 12 pre-clearance locations.
• Approximately 50000 new applications for the programme are being filed every month and it already have more than 1.8 million people who are enrolled in Global Entry Programme.