Major highlights of the solar policy approved by Delhi Government
The Delhi Government on 6 June 2016 announced implementation of its solar policy.
The policy aims at making the national capital a solar city with installation of 1 GW solar power capacity by 2020. This target is proposed to double it to 2 GW during further next five years.
The policy has been prepared by the Delhi Government in consultation with the Dialogue and Development Commission after extensive consultations with local and international experts.
Key highlights of the policy include:
• Mandatory deployment of solar panels on the government or public institutions.
• Virtual net metering to give access to the solar net metering facility to the consumers who do not have a suitable roof for installing a solar system.
• Group net metering to encourage solar plants on rooftops of buildings that cannot consume all of the energy generated locally.
• Generation based incentive for three years.
• Amendment of the building bylaws for rooftop solar installations.