Justice Iqbal Ahmed Ansari nominated as Chief Justice of Patna High Court
Justice Iqbal Ahmed Ansari was on 29 July 2016 sworn in as the Chief Justice of Patna High Court. His oath of office was administered by Bihar Governor Ramnath Kovind at Raj Bhawan in Patna.
Justice Ansari had worked twice as Acting Chief Justice of Patna High Court since December 2014 before being sworn in as its 39th Chief Justice. Justice Ansari retires on 29 October 2016.
Who is Justice Iqbal Ahmed Ansari?
• Born on 29th October 1954, at Tezpur, Assam, Justice Ansari did his his B.Sc. from Darrang College, Tezpur.
• He did his graduation in law from Tezpur Law College, where his father, a Bar-at-Law himself, was founder Principal.
• He handled both civil as well as criminal matters.
• He remained deeply involved with the activities of All Assam Lawyers' Association and many other socio-cultural and educational bodies.
• He was the President of Tezpur Lions' Club.
• He is a life member of Indian Institute of Public Administration.
• He joined Grade-I of Assam Judicial Service in April 1991.
• He has worked as District & Sessions Judge.
• He joined Gauhati High Court Registry in June 1999.
• At the time of his elevation, he was Registrar General of Gauhati High Court and President of Assam Judicial Service Association.
• Underwent training on the subject of Gender and Law, in Warwick University in UK, on being nominated by National Judicial Academy.